Here are 14 dog-friendly locations in Delhi NCR for you to explore!
(click for Google Maps location)
- Aravalli Biodiversity Park – Many trails and off-paths to choose from, fewer and friendlier stray dogs, autos are available if you wait a bit and there is ample parking!!!
- Buddha Jayanti Park – We loved it! Loads of paths and off paths to choose from. There are packs of stray dogs, but they just barked as you crossed their territory.
- Deer Park, Green Park/Safdarjung – Too many stray dogs at the entrances, however, they just bark. There’s actual deer in here, and that’s pretty cool 🙂
- Haus Khas District Park, Hauz Khas – Beautiful lake in here 🙂 Beware of the monkeys!
- Hauz Khas/Siri Fort forest, Panchsheel Park – An amazing find! No proper parking here though.
- India Gate – Yes, take a walk around it.
- Lodhi Garden/JorBagh area – Gorgeous! You could also try walking around it, on Lodhi Road, Amrita Shergill etc. for a change. The roads are tree-lined, clean and there’s not much traffic.
- Jahanpanah City Forest, GK – It’s HUGE! Stray dogs at the entrance, but no real trouble. I am not sure of parking. Entrance at Chiraagh Delhi, Masjid Moth and Tughlakabad we well!
- Rose Garden, IIT Delhi – Very pretty, connects to HKV and Deer Park.
- Mehrauli Archeological Park – Lovely monuments in there including Jamaali Kamaali and various baolis; there is parking inside, ask the guard at gate to direct you to it.
- Nehru Park, Chanakyapuri – Really pretty! Walk on the suspension bridge inside, and when you’re done, get some green juice at the parking lot for a kick of health 🙂
- Sanjay Van, Vasant Kunj – Hike up to the machaan and take a selfie with the Qutub Minar!
- Shahpur Jat DDA Park – A beautiful walk, but there are some packs of stray dogs that can be intimidating.
- Sundar Nursery – A heritage park complex with monuments, several walking routes and a Sunday Farmer’s Market!
Dogs need physical and mental exercise on a DAILY BASIS regardless of breed (even if you have a pug) to ensure overall health, longevity and happiness. Regular walks on varied routes can really improve the quality of your dog’s life (and yours!). In addition to being a fun activity for your dog, it can help reduce and prevent a range of behavioural issues and can create a wonderful bond between you and your dog!
Start small – one outing a week, or one new colony road that you explored today. Allow your dog to sniff 🙂 Grab your friends/family and dog and start a healthy and fun routine! Walk on-leash, and remember to carry newspaper/plastic to pick up your dog’s poop!
I haven’t been to these. Have you? – Hauz Rani City Forest, Forest, Kamla Nehru Ridge, Roshanara Garden, Asola Bhatti,
*If your dog is aggressive or fearful of traffic, other dogs, people etc, work with a behaviourist to fix these issues before you step out on regular walks!
10 Comments Add yours
Thanks for this info. Really helpful.
Sanjay van is a good call then, I guess. Are there too many strays there?
Very few strays at Sanjay Van!
Okay great! Thanks Namratha!
Another one to add to this list : Aravali Biodiversity Park. It’s quite nice for dogs. Very few strays and if you take the tough trail at then you can climb up a hill and get the best views.
Only problem: Some people bring their dogs unleashed and these dogs are not trained so they usually get very aggressive. But this has happened once only with me.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Also the Shivalik / Malviya DDA Park! Couple of dogs in a few corners but they’re not aggressive, just barky.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Awesome!! Will definitely check it out!!
My do is 3 yr old gsd . He is aggressive towards children . Also sometimes gets aggressive towards any guests that come home . I m located at Jammu . If any dog behavior trg pers around PL give contact
Dear Rajinder, unfortunately I don’t know any behaviourist in Jammu. Until you find someone, I would recommend you keep your dog in a separate room or on muzzle and leash when there are children/guests around.
Can I take my pet dog to Tughlakabad fort or Mehrauli Archeological Park, Tomb of Balban?